Your home’s electrical wiring will typically last a very long time. After all, it is meant to be durable. Since it’s something that can remain in good condition for years, most people don’t notice it needs replacing until something goes wrong. But how do you know something has gone wrong with your home’s electrical wiring? Here are seven signs that it’s time to replace your electrical wires.
1. Your Wiring and Insulation Is Old
If you live in a home that is at least 50 years old or older, it may be time to rewire your home and replace wiring insulation. Even if nothing has gone wrong with your electrical wiring yet, older wiring is prone to failing. Replacing old wiring will not only give you new wiring and insulation, but it gives you a chance to update your home with technological advances that weren’t around when your home was first built.
2. Your House Has Flickering Lights
Flickering and dimming lights are easy signs to look for if you’re not sure if your wiring needs to be replaced. If several lights in your home flicker, this shows that the power being supplied to your lights is inconsistent, causing spikes and declines. This inconsistency is often caused by loose or faulty wiring, which means you should rewire your home.
3. Your Home Has Aluminum Wiring
Older homes tend to have aluminum wiring in their insulation. If this is the case for your home, you should not only rewire your home but have it electrically inspected. If you’re unsure if your home uses aluminum wiring, it never hurts to get it checked.
4. Outlets Are Sparking
Have you noticed that outlets have been sparking when you plug something in? Occasionally, this may happen and be no concern. But if you’re noticing it happening regularly, it’s a good indicator that you need to redo your home’s wiring and insulation. Sparking outlets can be extremely dangerous, especially if they cause heat to build up and your insulation to melt.
5. You’re Noticing Burning Smells
If you’re regularly noticing a burning odor in your home but can’t find the cause of the smell, the issue could be your wires. Faulty and loose wires can short, which can result in a burning smell. This is extremely dangerous and should be dealt with by electrical professionals as soon as possible.
6. You’ve Been Electrically Shocked by Cords
If you’ve noticed that you sometimes get shocked when touching a cord plugged into an outlet, this is a sign that your home should be rewired. This can also be a safety hazard, so you should have an electrician come out to your home as soon as possible for an inspection.
7. Your Home Needs More Outlets
If your home doesn’t have that many outlets and you’re constantly using power strips to have enough outlets for all your electrical devices, it may be time to rewire your home. Rewiring will not only update your wiring and insulation, but it gives you a chance to add more outlets throughout your home.
If you’re noticing any of these signs, it’s important to schedule an inspection for your home’s electrical wires. At Megee Plumbing & Heating, our experts will be able to accurately assess your home’s electrical wires. If you have older wires or any safety hazards, we can also schedule a day for us to rewire your home. Contact us today to schedule a time for us to come out to your home to conduct an inspection.